Homemade Bacon

Home Forums Smoking Homemade Bacon

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Huggy 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Woo-BBQ

Hello All,

Just wanted to find out how many of you out there have tried making bacon? I tried it for the first time and just loved it. I also had a comment it was the best thing at the BBQ over the weekend. I just used a simple recipe of brown sugar, salt, pink curing salt #1 and maple syrup. Anyone else have a go to recipe. Also, how to you post pix?

Huggy

I have wanted to smoke my own bacon for a LONG time, but none of the markets in my town sells pork belly’s so I can do so.
    Trying butcher shops is an option but all of them want the customer to buy THEIR meats and are unwilling to sell a slab of pork belly for the DIY’er, which I think is just rude! Sure, they will sell you a slab but being selfish they price it so darned high you’d be better off and money ahead to take the money you’d spend with them, buy two First Class airline tickets to Texas, round trip, and go there to have a meal with bacon in it.
    My question is, does anyone have an idea or source where the average Joe can buy slabs of pork belly frozen and have it shipped? Obviously I don’t want to spend the quantity of money to out somebody’s kid through college with each purchase, so I’m talking reasonable here.
    As much as I’d like to, I could raise my own pig (or two or three) along with a calf or two and chickens (I have a couple of acres) but the cost and time required to do it right isn’t to be taken lightly. Freezer space is another concern as is worry someone will steal my animals (don’t laugh…rustling IS alive and well in some areas!).
    Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Scroll to top